Wednesday, August 10, 2011

My Personal Sentiments on Ousting Mideo Cruz' Art in CCP

Filipino Artist Mideo Cruz is being tormented for his ‘blasphemous’ art displayed in the Cultural Center of the Philippines. On the first sight, yes the exhibit was indeed has a blasphemy in nature, but we should look at it on the big picture. The artist has his own interpretation of what he has in there. And by the way, Art is described as the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect. We have different ways of how to interpret and describe art.





I understand the sentiments of some catholic people who even rallied a prayer vigil in front of CCP just to kick the exhibit off. I am an active catholic since birth and I have not against the religion at all. What pisses me is how some people cannot value and respect other people’s sensitivity with regards to art. This is the exact scenario I am waiting when Lady GaGa published her music videos. Remember the music video for Alejandro wherein she ate a rosary – isn’t it blasphemous enough? She even wore an outfit with an inverted cross printed on it – isn’t it a sign of antichrist? Her latest track Judas wherein she played a mock on different apostle’s name and Jesus – these catholic people didn’t spoke anything about it. To think that Lady GaGa almost sold a million copy in our country.


Lady GaGa with her inverted cross

Lady GaGa mocking Jesus and the Apostles



To sad that this excellent artist is being bullied by judgmental people in our society. They must have the power and glory for now but this doesn’t mean that the battle is over. As a vigilant citizen I will fight for a good art and fight for what I think is right. This post doesn’t allow negative comments from anyone. This is my blogsite and I therefore have the right to invoke my innate sentiments with regards to the issue. Poor Philippines – We have great artist who doesn’t even recognized and clamored by its own roots.   

No comments:

Post a Comment