Saturday, January 28, 2012

Album Review : Wave 89.1 Soul Obsessions, Duets with Thor



I’ll tell you a secret. I have a new addiction or should I say OBSESSION.

I get this secret obsession back when I was in college. Of a music whore like me, I spent my daily extra time listening to music. It feels like more than ecstasy when music filed my ears. I heard this one song from an OPM artist via WAVE 89.1. His voice tickles my withered soul and plant a romantic melody in my heart. The song is – What About Love by Thor. Since then I’ve been an instant fan of this romantic balladeer.

Our second encounter happened last week January 11, 2012. I was passing by the mall in Taguig when I suddenly entered a music record store. I felt like I’m hallucinating when I heard a familiar voice playing inside the store.  As I entered the music store, I can see stars everywhere I go. I suddenly felt sugar rushing my system. I felt in love to that soothing voice. I asked the clerk, what album are they playing. They give me a familiar face that left me speechless. SOUL OBSESSIONS Duets – by Thor. Without thinking twice, I bought the CD.




Upon listening to the album, every song has a majestic approach perfectly fit to Thor’s voice. Every covered song was ground breaking versions. Most of the songs in the album are the soundtrack of my teenage life. It quickly reminded me of my romantic struggles and booboos. Thor’s voice was so addictive that I’ve never skip any of his song.

The album has 12 tracks; all are covered song featuring Thor and other OPM singers. With the like of MYMP – Juris and Chin, Jay Durias, Amber Davis, Nina, Jinky Vidal, Luke Mijares, and many more.


Cut 1 - The first song is a Joe Jackson original – Be My Number Two performed by Thor feat. MYMP. The song was melodramatic approach accompanied by guitar. This version is one of the best cut for the album.

Cut 2 - Second track is What About Love originally performed by Lemar. In this song, he was with former South Border member Luke Mijares. This is my all time favorite song for this album, actually I have all the song as my favorites but this is my most favorite among all. This song was the soundtrack of my heartaches and I’ve shed tons of tears with this song.

Cut 3 -  Spend My Life With You with Amber Davis is the third track. A perfect rendition of Tamia and Eric Bennet with OPM twist. Just as perfect as I expected.

Cut 4 - Fourth covered song was Mariah Carey and Brian McKnight original – Whenever You Call. Soul Siren Nina fits to Thor’s romantic voice. Their harmony perfectly blend for the song. Knowing Mariah’s singing style and Brian’s vocal acrobats – the two indeed is powerful combination.

Cut 5 – Suddenly – duet with Freestyle’s female vocal Jinky Vidal is beyond soulful. This brings me chills and made my night romantically blooming. This old favorite song has a new taste and new sound with Thor’s deep soulful version and Jinky’s sweet and soft voice.

Cut 6 – A Babyface original Everytime I close My Heart is perfect, promise, crossed my heart, Thor (If not beat) at least nailed his version featuring Natural High. The song’s romantically sensual approach has renewed in this version with Natural High’s smooth vocal acrobats.

Cut 7 – The Girl Is Mine with Luke Mijares is one of the feel good songs in the album.  Luke’s vocal techniques blended well with Thor’s. Mind you the end part of the song seems vocal battle between two RNB heart throbs.

Cut 8 – Bozza sweetheart Sofia and Thor’s RNB combination in the song You Don’t Know Me is astonishing, sweet and sensual. This song is perfect for romantic and intimate moments.

Cut 9 – Im Ready with Mr. Cesar Aguas is one of the hard to sing song. Thor’s curly high notes accompanied by Mr. Cesar Aguas’ beautiful guitar strum are so attaching. If Mr. Ramon Jacinto is Philippines’ answer to Elvis Presley, Mr. Cesar Aguas is our very own Santana. His guitar strum sounds identically to the later. In this song, Mr. Cesar’s guitar execution sounds latin – romantically uplifting.

 Cut 10 – Just One Dance with Jerome Nunez on violin sounds very relaxing. A very nice song with very good lyrics, Just One Dance is so relaxing. Jerome’s violin strums made Thor’s vocal rendition very really romantic.

Cut 11 – Home by Brian Mcknight is this album’s finale song. This is the surprise for the listeners, after bunch of romantic and senti tracks, Thor will tour you to his heart of music – RNB royalty. I bet you, you close your eyes .. you are as if listening to Brian Mcknight. The curls, the depth and vocal acrobats are identically the same. Trully, Thor is the Philippines’ answer to Brian Mcknight, R Kelly and Eric Bennet in one name!


To you who want to be in loved over and over again, then be in your favorite record bars and get the copy of Thor’s Wave 89.1 Soul Obsessions Duets with Thor. This is another worth the listen album. No amount of cents is wasted in every song. Serenaded by Philippines’ RNB royalty is worth the while. This one of a kind album can make your girlfriend melt in a second and your boyfriend dance you in a moonlit night. 5 Stars for this album!


No comments:

Post a Comment