Sunday, July 3, 2011

Album Review : Beyonce - 4


"I made mistakes, and I’m learning from them. I am not afraid to make a mistakes, I embrace them. It makes you who are." - Beyonce







Beyonce is the voice of the woman. Her latest album “4” celebrates womanhood and how they rule the world. If you will listen to the tracks in her new record, each song sings about the characteristics of a woman in Beyonce’s perspective.  Beyonce has been consistently on the top of biggest earner and most powerful women in the world. And if there is one girl who reins the music industry today – no doubt it’s BEYONCE.





(Documentary Video "Year of 4")





Her album was entitled “4” because it has great significance to her life. 4 is her birth date (September 4, 1981), and also her mother and husband’s birth date (December 4). This album showcases the Beyonce I never knew. Her vocal abilities has exceed from best to super best. I thought she had done the best, but she has more to give to her listeners and fans. In this album, Beyonce did what she really wanted. Each songs describes of what she wanted to do. Everyone might have thought that she have everything in life because she is famous and powerful, but she unleashed and overcoat herself. She removed the makeup and stood to the center and introduced the bare-naked truth. 






‘1+1’ is the opening track on her album. This is a powerful ballad with soulful sound. The song perfectly sang with piano accompaniment with Beyonce’s pure and full of emotion voice. Beyonce sings, “I don’t know much about algebra / But I know 1 plus 1 equals 2.” This line describes how she is devoted his man and the love they share together.



‘I Care’ is her second track. This powerful song has a deep and emotional lyrics – ‘you see these tears falling down to my ears, I swear you like when I’m in pain / I try to tell you all my fears / You still don’t care / That’s OK.’ This is one of the songs I love to sing along with. The beat of the drum and the electric guitar blends well to Beyonce’s amazing voice. She even played her vocal acrobats and belt out an almost whistle register tune.



‘I Miss You’ is a percussive motivated song featured encrusted vocals from Beyonce. I loved the layering they did on her voice, hitting high and low notes. A catchy lyrics that I loved most is: “Words don’t ever seem to come out right / But I still mean them / Why is that? / It hurts my pride to tell you how I feel / But I still need to / Why is that?



‘The Best Thing I Never Had’ is one of the songs in the tracks that will make it big to the hit chart. The song begun with a piano playing with Beyonce singing the lyrics “what goes around/comes back around” that will give you LSS. And I smiled in the line where she blast the lyrics - “it sucks to be you right now”.



‘Party’ is the fifth track featuring Andre 3000 from Outkast. The song was written by Kanye West. The beat reminded me of her former song ‘Ego’.  It has an old school effect that makes you sing along to Beyonce’s entwined voice. The lead and backup vocals was done by Beyonce herself alone.



‘Rather Die Young’ opens with Beyonce singing sexy tune. This song has a strong beat and powerful ballad performance. Beyonce singing her devotion to her man and giving her life for the one she loves. This ballad will make it on the chart.



‘Start Over’ opened with pounding drum beat. The beat begins to become stronger as it forwards to the bridge. There is an electro tune I can hear on this tracks, similar to Katy Perry’s ‘ET’. Beyonce sing out her love thru words, Let’s start over / Let’s give love their wings / Let’s start over / Stop fighting bout the same old thing.”



‘Love on Top’ sounds so much retro. The first time I heard this song I drove me back to Motown days with the feel of Beyonce’s powerful vocal abilities. Bass, Finger snaps and Horns completes the ingredients of a Funky music. This song is a perfect product of an old formula with modern ingredient. I love how B plays her voice going to the top of her tune.



 ‘Countdown’ is my favorite song in this album. The song begun with tribal sensation, with band fits to Beyonce robotic voice. Beyonce sings counting from 10 to 1. The best part of the song is when horns blend with B playing with the tune. This song reminds me of B’s ‘Get Me Bodied’.


‘End of Time’ began with a marching band symmetry that has an addictive beat. She sings her love and friendship in this song - Come take my hand / I won’t let you go / I’ll be your friend / I will love you so deeply / I will be the one to kiss you at night / I will love you till the end of time.” The presence of horns and a chanting beat makes this song a must hear.



‘I Was Here’ Beyonce slows down this time. The song has pained violins, echoing guitars and rhythmic snare drums and was written by Dianna Warren. Beyonce does multiple vocals here – lead and backups. You can feel her passion and love while she hits the notes and utters the words ‘I was here’. I love the way how she played her voice before the end of the song.



‘Run The World (Girls)’ is an upbeat tempo and was her first single in this album. This song talks about woman domination in every way they does. It has an electro/RNB popping beat that a sure club hit.



Without argument, this album will top and sell millions of copy worldwide. Beyonce exceed to being superb to bombastically amazing. I am looking forward to see her perform these tracks live and I wish I could watch her perform live. 


Grab a copy now of Beyonce's 4. Available worldwide.


1 comment: