Sunday, June 26, 2011

Book Review: Orosa-Nakpil Malate - Louie Mar Gancuangco





I am reading Orosa-Nakpil Malate for the 'nth time' now. Knowing the fact that I have been reading this over and over now, still I tends to get excited each time a turn the pages. This book have so many elements that a good stories must have. You can barely feel the emotions of the characters and the words are perfectly written just the way how it felt. You can feel the character's triumphant, joy, and pain. The story revolves around Dave De Jesus, a medical student in an outstanding university in Manila. Different challenges that built her moral and character and strengthens his knowledge about love in life. 



This book was written by Louie Mar Ganguangco, now a Doctor in Philippine General Hospital. (I made a personal conclusion that this was based on the writer's true experience - just kidding Doc Louie.) 



The Weakness of the Story:

- All those times, what I visualizes was the love of Ross over Dave, I could have never felt that Dave reciprocates the love that Ross rendered.


The Strength of the Story:

-The book teaches lessons that we dont know about AIDS. It simplifies all the facts that we must know about its symptoms and complications. It is described in the book that this is not exclusive for the gay community alone. This can be applicable to everyone – without be noticing the dangers at all.

- It gives me a new perspective about Love, that “love doesnt look at it gender; For as long as no one is hurt, why should we deter ourselves from the joy of being in a relationship? In the first place, we can’t teach our hearts to love. Love is a feeling. It is not a thought.” -Page 80

-It taught me how to balance everything in this world – from studies to gimiks to love and priorities. Dave’s character is so effective that you can just get an enemy out of knower saying this line:
“If you don’t know how to respect other people, you might as well go to hell and fuck yourselves.”-Page 78

-I was amazed how Dave redefines how to be gay and in fact, he literally defined Gay hood in scientific explanation.


I wouldn’t be tired reading this book again and again. And I would like to recommend this to all of my friends especially to the youth. This isn’t for gays only – this is for all gender. This will be effective for an open-minded individual with good intelligence. I am looking forward to see this book on the big screen.

4 comments:

  1. i just read the book and it was good.. i love the flow of the story. and it amazed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the story is just so exciting :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thats my favorite book by truly Pinoy Author
    Hope to find my own Daddy Ross

    ReplyDelete
  4. is this book still available here in the Philippines??..where can i find it??..thank you po...

    ReplyDelete